Tuesday 25 June 2013

happy spring!

Earlier this spring (May 11th, 2013) Stuart and I dug out evergreens out of the #34 highway ditches. We made two trips to be able to haul them all home. On the second trip we stopped for soft ice cream at Horseshoe Cafe which ended up being our supper. We planted the evergreens along the fence line. Our soil is pure clay so it took a bit to dig a hole big enough.

Last one and a 5 gallon pail of water. The garden hose didn't reach so we had to haul for the last couple. Stuart came up with a wonderful watering idea. We heard that a soaker hose just plugged up with dirt so we bought more garden hose and drilled holes into it where the tree was and it waters perfectly! All we have to do is give the tap half a crank. That part's easy :) We keep the alfalfa down by tilling.

The row completed! All 25 of them 15 feet apart. Now to grow big! So often I want to wish time away because I want them big now. I have to remind myself to enjoy the moment I'm in. Same goes with everything else that's been planted. June 17th, 2013 a Goodland apple tree and a Battleford apple tree were planted (bought from Jefferies Nurseries). The same day I finished a perennial flower bed of silver mound, sentimental blue balloon flower, and white clips in the front. Day lilies, allium, lavender, irises, gamma grass, chives, green spice coral bells, and false indigo in the middle with delphiniums in the back. Thanks to my Grandmas and aunts for letting me dig perennials out of their flower beds. Hardly can wait till there is no longer any soil showing. Everything seems so small now. This was the inspiration for the flower bed that was made:
image via pintrest